some questions regarding KDE vs. GNOME cooperations.

swhatley at hal-pc.org swhatley at hal-pc.org
Mon Mar 10 21:08:25 GMT 2003

On 10 Mar 2003 08:21:56 Ali Akcaagac wrote:
>a) KDE adapting all stuff from GNOME,
>b) KDE is cooperating with GNOME on one HIG (button re-order),
>c) KDE is going the GNOME way on eventually removing configurability

One of the reasons that I switched from Gnome to KDE is that KDE seems to be
more configurable.  Granted, I have only been using a KDE andGnome for about a
month.  But, I veen using X and varrious window mangers for the past 18 years.

It sounds kinda scary to me if Gnome and KDE are moving towards a true MS
windows registry type system.  Now, it if still looks like an X resource file
then it may actually be OK.  Isn't this kind of like what xrdb does anyway?  By
this I mean it imports the variius X resource files into one memory resident
resource pool?

As for as Gstreaming and incorporationg Gnome goes, as long as both teams have
input about what goes into the common parts, then it may work out for the
better.  Standardizaiton can bee a good thing if not carried to the extreme.  I
don't want to see Gnome and KDE end up like FSF Emacs and XEmacs went.  Both
emacsens do similar tasks and they do borrow/take code from each other.  But,
they have deverged from eother that it can be difficult for developers to write
packages what work in both.  Many times they have work with the lowest common
denomiator which results in non optimized/somewhat inferior product on both
versions of emacs.  Just for the record, I much prefer XEmacs over FSF Emacs.
:)

Later,
Steven
--