Dual screensavers

Steven Whatley swhatley at hal-pc.org
Wed Mar 5 02:59:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

I've been using Linux of and on for the over 5 years but I've always used
the text Console mode, no X.  I am now trying to wean myself of of MS
Windows (currently WinXP) so I have set up my main system to dual boot
WinXP and RH8.  I have a dual monitor setup with a Matrox Parhelia video
card.  I've got XFree86 runing just fine with the ximerama option.  At
first I started using Gnome but someone told me that KDE does dualhead
better.  And yes, as far as I can tell, this is true.  Most windows no
longer appear split between the two monitors.

I'm just getting started using KDE but I've used many other X based window
managers on various UNIX (non Linux) platforms.  This is my first time to
use dualhead with non-MS Windows system.  I've got my XFree86 set up to
support independent resolutions but still behaves like one desktop (i.e.
I can move windows back and forth).

I have noticed the screensaver treats two screens as one stretched desktop
so the screen savers start split between both screens.  Is there a way to
to run a separate screensaver on each screen?

I see there was a similar question asked back in January with no
independent KDE desktops (no crossing over by dragging).

Any info will be appreciated.  So far, I really like the look and feel of
KDE.  My first task to get MythTV running so I can watch and record TV
using my Hauppauge WinTV-FM PCI card.  Right now that is still the main
reason I need to keep WinXP.  The secondary reason is to play games. :)

Thanks,
Steven