Fonts, anti-aliasing and TFTs

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 28 06:38:58 BST 2003

James Ferris wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Yes I have tried with no sub-pixelling, and the problem is still there.
> And I agree that it is very odd. I did a screen cap of a konsole window
> and zoomed in with an editor, and sure enough, the lines are 1 pixel
> wide and multi-coloured (this is with sub-pixelling off). With no
> anti-aliasing they are solid black.
>
> I'll send anyone who wants it a copy. In the meantime, I'm going to try
> changing video drivers and then I'll try Mandrake. I have no reason for
> thinking these will help, but it's something to pass the time until I
> get a better idea.

Is it possible that you have sub-pixel hinting turned on somewhere in a
configuration file.

Look in: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf".  This code shouldn't be there:

	<match target="font">
		<test qual="all" name="rgba">
			<const>unknown</const>
		</test>
	</match>

In the current version, it belongs in: "/etc/fonts/local.conf" but should
be commented out by default.

Code to turn on sub-pixel hinting could also be in: "/etc/X11/XftConfig".

Or you could try an exorcist.

--
JRT