Autofs and kde ... solution and problem

wim delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Wed Jul 30 02:33:52 BST 2003

After scanning the lists I noticed that many have tried and failed to use the
autofs together with kde.

I Have done this with some degree of success.

What I did is fool kde a bit.

Suppose you mount the disk or whatever on /mnt/SomeDisk using the autofs map.

Instead of cd-ing to that director I have created a link to that 'sometimes
not existing' directory

So I have something like
	/mnt/LinkToDisk -> /mnt/SomeDisk

Accessing /mnt/LinkTo/Disk with e.g an 'ls' (ls /mnt/LinkToDisk/*) would
automount the /mnt/SomeDisk and work just fine.

In kde I then add a desktop link to /mnt/LinkToDisk .. kde thinks this is a
link and will monitor just the link. Hence it will not mount the partition.
That willy only occur when you click on the 'link' icon

TO make it absolutely perfect though I would like the icon to reflect the
mounted state of the disk.  (Especially useful for CDrom etc.)

Two ways present itself.  Using the automonitoring (but I do not find any info
on that) or using the automounter (autofs) to execute an extra command when
the disk is mounted.  The problem is : Wnat command.

Now I have noticed that dcop can send commands to the kde desktop.  Could dcop
be used to 'update' the state of an icon on the desktop ? If so what message
to send ?

If not, what other suggestions might work >?