kde application "kompare" won't run anymore

Otto Bruggeman bruggie at home.nl
Mon Jul 28 19:39:47 BST 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Am Samstag, 26. Juli 2003 18:23 schrieb Otto Bruggeman:
> > > Then I have change the rank, so "kompare" is now the first application to
> > > work with files *.dif (before that, "kwrite" was the first application).
> > > And I have changed the icon for files of types *.dif. Since I have done
> > > it, "kompare" won't run anymore.
> >
> > I assume you did this with the File Associations KControl module ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > This error means that kompare cant find the komparepart, something must
> > have fucked up the desktop files, try deleting komparepart.desktop (there
> > might be a _ between kompare and part) from your $KDEHOME (usually ~/.kde/)
> > directory. Then if you can edit the komparepart.desktop file in the $KDEDIR
> > (/opt/kde3 or /usr/something) and put Preferences = 100 or so in it. The
> > same goes for kompare.desktop.
>
> I have deleted the "komparepart.desktop"-file and the other files with
> "kompare" and "desktop" in their names in my .kde directory. Now "kompare" is
> back working. Yiiipiii.

Good to hear that !

> What does the second thing: Adding "Preferences=100" to the other files?

Oops i screwed up, it should be InitialPreference=100. That line make sure
that kompare is preferred above kwrite/kate/whatever for diff files. So
this is how you manually make kompare the first app in the list for diff
files in the file associations kcontrol module instead of using that app.

> Thank you very much for your help.

You're welcome and thanks for using kompare :)

Greetings,
Otto Bruggeman