Kmix, ALSA and saving levels.

James Henry Maiewski jhm at mtdata.com
Tue Jul 22 09:46:58 BST 2003

Hello,

	I choose this list the pose this question, because, as far as I can tell,
these things did not occur with OSS.  I realize that this doesn't eliminate
ALSA's culpability, so apologies if this is off topic.  My card is a
SoundBlaster Audigy, and I'm running Mandrake 9.1 with KDE 3.1.0.  I'm also
sorry that this sounds so confusing.

	First, I get XMMS playing.

	Then I start Kmix(1.90), aumix and alsamixergui.

	Now, adjusting either aumix or alsamixer will both change the volume, and
change the displays on each others GUIs, but not Kmix'.  When I change Kmix'
volume, the other two immediately move to where Kmix' level is, and the
volume changes to what Kmix displays (However, when I place the mouse pointer
on the Kmix applet it will say "Volume at x%" where x is what ever the last
value of Kmix was until I move the mouse wheel and change the volume that way
(I love this feature by the way, very cool).

	This is all strange, but as I include it only as it might give a clue as to
what is happening.  Since I only need to use one mixer (and I love the Kmix
applet), the problem occurs when I reboot.  Say I logged out with the volume
at 10% [by the way the 'x%,' which I get from the applet ranges from 0% to
31%, but seems corresponds to 0% to 100% on aumix].  When I reboot, the
actual volume out of the speakers is 10% (and the applet says "Volume at
10%"), but the slider on the display is maxed out.  if I attempt to lower the
volume a little bit, the actual volume switches to a little bit below maxed
out (even though this is 31%, it's pretty damned loud!).

	So, there it is.   It actually is as strange as it sounds.  Any suggestions
as to what to do, or whom to ask?

With an advance of thanks,
	Jim.