is there a memory leak in konsol

Farhan Ali thealis at cyber.net.pk
Thu Jan 23 17:30:21 GMT 2003

hi

i run mandrake 9.0. when i boot my system and before i log into my account
using KDE 3.0.1, the
following is the out put of "free -m" in a non-X console.

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 250 138 112 0 6 68
-/+ buffers/cache: 62 188
Swap: 258 0 258

now i log into kde and open konsol and just close it, and logout out of kde,
and do a "free -m" again in the normal console. this time the output is:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 250 143 107 0 10 91
-/+ buffers/cache: 41 209
Swap: 258 0 258

where has the 5MBs gone. sometimes this is more than 50MB difference.

moreover, the output of "who" is:

farhan vc/2 Jan 21 00:09
farhan pts/1 Jan 21 00:34

while this time nobody is loged in with KDE. and nobody is loged in any
console, except vc/2 from where this comand is executed.

can anybody tell me what is happening

please forgive my ignorance... i am very new to this linux thing

Farhan