Keyboard layout settings have changed?

Nathan Gaylinn nathang at firstva.com
Sun Jan 12 07:12:39 GMT 2003

I've just recently installed Slackware 8.1, complete with KDE 3.0.1. Before
this install, I was using KDE 2.2 and was quite satisfied with the standard
keyboard swapping tool, using it to type in Spanish when necessasary.
However, I'm having a terrible time trying to get the same functionality with
KDE3. I have KDE3's keyboard layout set up precisely as it was before, and
the dead keys associated with the Spanish layout seem to be working, but
whereas with KDE2 I could use alternate characters in almost all of my
software, it seems that almost none of my software recognizes them now. When
I type a deadkey combination (ie. ' + a = รก) most of my programs produce
absolutely nothing. When I use native KDE software, such as KMail or KWord,
these combos work just as they should, but other programs that used to work
perfectly now give me absolutely nothing. What's wrong?