kdm problem with root login

Roger de Backer roger.debacker at education.lu
Thu Jan 2 09:30:31 GMT 2003

Hi all,
after having installed qt-3.0.6 and kde-3.0.4 and solving  several
initial problems mainly due to wrong path/environment settings, a few
problems have remained for which I can't find a reason/solution:
1) if I try to login as root in KDM, I get the "login failed" response.
If I login as user and then invoke the superuser with the same password,
everything works out fine however. Also the background of the login
screen is not the one specified (kiagara) in the control center, login
manager.
2) the KDE help center doesn't work, it says: "an error occurred while
process Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Unknown protocol
'help'.".
Unfortunately, I don't know how to interprete this error message. Should
there be a subdirectory "help" somewhere?
My distribution is SuSE 8.1 professional, but kde has been installed
from source in the default position: usr/local/kde.
KDEDIR=usr/local/kde, QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.6.
Both check out correctly with the echo command in the console.
Roger