KDE locks up at Loading Window Manager

Brian Johnson bjohnson at jecinc.on.ca
Wed Feb 12 14:09:04 GMT 2003

I upgraded my RH7.3 to RH 8.0 and am getting some xwindows problems

When I log into KDE it usually (but not always) totally locks up my laptop at the

The same applies to whether I log in as root or a regular user (or as a new user
created just to test this)

I've determined that it is not a network problem (ie nfs mount) since the same
problem occurs whether I'm connected or not (it's a laptop)

I know my way around a Linux command prompt bt am still learning the XFree system
(so references to command line tools are not a problem)