kppp and cycling

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Dec 29 15:31:50 GMT 2003

tyche wrote:
> On Saturday 27 December 2003 09:45 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>tyche wrote:

>>>leaving it blank, ppp writes 2 addresses of nameservers, 209.151.129.1
>>>and 209.151.1.142. ping either with the addresses results in getting
>>>pings back. pinging the mail server, mail.ica.net, results in 100% packet
>>>loss, tho pinging mail.ica.net by its ip, results in return pings.
>>>
>>>appearently, there is something that is blocking the ppp0 interface for
>>>name resolution.
>>
>>Does your ISP also have protocol specific mail URLs.
>>
>>E.G, Earthlink has: "pop.earthlink.net" for incoming and
>>"smpt.earthlink.net" for outgoing.
>>
>>If so, try those.
>>
>>Or, try starting KPPP form a Konsole and see if you get any errors.
>>
>>--
>>JRT
>>

> nope. just mail.ica.net for both. this is not just a mail problem. anytime i
> type a name, it just cycles, and finally times out with host not found. if i
> use addresses, it works just fine. ie: 209.151.129.1 is ica's primary dns
> server, ping dns.ica.net, just cycles, ping 209 etc, get pings back.
>
> this appearently is a problem at my end on reverse dns resolution. this only
> started after compiling the rest of kde.

Sorry, I don't know.  Naturally, I have no way to replicate your problem.  I have
forgotten to enter the DNS addresses (the automatic option is new) and had the same
problem but fixing the DNS configuration fixed the problem.

Could you have some how screwed up one of the: "/etc/hosts*" files?

You could try changing the DNS "Configuration" to manual and enter the DNS addresses in
the widget.

Can you confirm with your ISP that these are the correct DNS addresses to use?

You can escalate the problem to the: "kde-devel" list.  Or, try support at your ISP.

--
JRT