kde-3.1.4

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Dec 18 07:49:55 GMT 2003

Surya Kiran Gullapalli wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've a redhat linux version 8.0 which comes with kde3.0.5. Now i've
> installed kde-3.1.4 in my home (i'm not a superuser). how can i tell
> my computer to pick up the kde from my home rather that from /usr/bin.
>
> Also when i'm trying to compile some applications developed with the
> new version of kde, i'm getting some problem which says,
> ----
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 49, expecting version 61 or
> higher.
> kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
> ----
> my application comes up in the end, but it looks very very ugly. How can
> i avoid these 2 problems.

Your: "$HOME/.bash_profile" file needs to correctly set your environment:

	KDEDIR=$HOME/<kde-dir>
	KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde
	PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	export KDEDIR KDEHOME PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

or something about like this with <kde-dir> being your install directory.

--
JRT