PowerPoint Viewer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Dec 12 02:48:19 GMT 2003

Chris Helmers wrote:
> Work has bought me a new machine on which is installed Redhat 9.0. I'm
> using KDE as my window manager & I can't figure out what KDE's
> equivalent to a PowerPoint viewer is. Kpresenter is a PowerPoint-like
> app, but what do I do to be able to double-click on a PPS file and
> have it display?

You need to setup your MIME type so that it is associated with the application you want to
use.  In the: "File Associations" section of the Konqueror KCM, choose:
"application/vnd.ms-powerpoint".

You should be able to install Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer with the current version of
WINE.  If you want a better user interface for installing Windows applications, you can
purchase CrossOver Office from CodeWeavers.

If using WINE and Microsoft Power Point Viewer, you might want to write a script so that
you don't need a long command line in your '*.desktop' file'.

Or, you can use OpenOffice or KOffice.

--
JRT