Broken KDE components after upgrades

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 19:53:19 GMT 2003

Hi all,

After a series of upgrades, various KDE components cease to work on my SuSE
8.0 pro installation.  The absence of the broken components is an annoyance,
but no more.  Nonetheless I would like to get them back up again.

The first occured when I upgraded from KDE 3.0.3 to 3.1. When I want to
configure local desktops from the panel, I get the error mesage:

Library files for "libkcm_konq.la" not founnd in paths.

I have looked in libkcm_konq.la, and found the path listed in that file is

/opt/kde3/lib/kde3

The file kcm_konq.so is in that library, where it should be according to the
contents of the .la file.

The second occurred after I upgraded the Xserver to version 4.3.0.

Previously I used Kdm graphical login.  After the upgrade Kdm no longer
worked.  When Xdm was substituted for kdm, the graphical login worked OK.

Perusing  /var/log/messages I found the following:

bluebottle kdm_config[3306]: Unrecognized section name [Desktop0] at
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:1

Does this give any clue.  I am using the plain vanilla kdmrc out of the rpm
package.

Third

After upgrading from KDE 3.1.1 to KDE 3.1.3, the mines symbol in Kmines no
longer appears.  Is it hidden in a library somewhere?

TIA

Basil Fowler