sub-pixel hinting

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Aug 25 22:31:53 BST 2003

rhubarbpie at operamail.com wrote:
> I'm unable to invoke sub-pixel hinting with KDE 3.1 using the Mandrake 9.1 distribution.
>
> KStart.Configuration.KDE.LookNFeel.Fonts.Use sub-pixel hinting
>
> I can check, apply and save the option but no font change occurs.  When I again access the option the box is unchecked.

It is possible that that option doesn't work if you are using FontConfig
and/or Xft[2] with Qt.

There is no GUI for FontConfig so you will need to edit:

	/etc/fonts/local.conf

and uncomment the section for sub pixel rendering.  This has: "rgb" as the
default.  If your flat screen is: bgr", you will also need to change the
'rgb' in this line (ONLY):

to:

NOTE: despite some statements to the contrary, sub pixel rendering only
works on digitally driven flat screens.
--
JRT