Ugly Konsole fonts

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Aug 21 01:58:56 BST 2003

Robert wrote:
> I have Slackware 9.0 running KDE3.1.3.  There is a limited choice of fonts
> available in Konsole.

The selection for Konsole is limited!  Fixed width fonts ONLY.

>  Some other distros (eg. Debian, Mandrake) have a nice
> Helvetica fixed font.

I don't know what a "Helvetica fixed font" is.  But, the standard Konsole
font (Normal, Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge) *IS* a sans serif fixed
font.  If this isn't working, you have a problem.  Probably with FontConfig.

Do you have these fonts:

4x6.pcf.gz
5x7.pcf.gz
5x8.pcf.gz
6x9.pcf.gz
6x10.pcf.gz
7x13.pcf.gz
7x14.pcf.gz
9x15.pcf.gz < KDE installed
10x20.pcf.gz

The KDE one may be the problem.  It will be in: "$KDEDIR/share/fonts/".
The others should be in the: "misc" sub-directory for system fonts.

> How can I transfer these fonts from another distro
> into my Konsole fonts in Slackware?

No, you don't have "Konsole" fonts.  The "Konsole" fonts are not installed
any different than any other fonts.

Just copy the fonts to a directory (e.g. $HOME/DownLoad) and if TrueType or
Type1, use the KDE Font Installer to install them using "Administrator Mode".

If you have XFree86 installed, you probably already have the bit-mapped
Helvetica fonts on your system but it isn't supposed to work in Konsole
because Konsole is limited to NON-proportional fonts.

> I've tried installing TrueType fonts (as per the Linux Deuglification page),
> but they're not fixed, and aren't available in Konsole.

I have no idea what you did, but that page may be obsolete and/or contain
instructions for older systems that will NOT work on current ones.

--
JRT