Animating background

Pascal Brück mail at paxcal.de
Wed Aug 13 08:53:54 BST 2003

Am Mittwoch, 13. August 2003 01:00 schrieb Yannick Le Saint:
> > Does anyone know if there is a way to play a movie as background in kde
> > 3.1 and not take to much resources like mplayer or xine which is pretty
> > sufficient?
>
>  Just look at mplayer manpage, especially the -rootwin option :)

That's not working here. I guess because kdesktop already using the
rootwindow.

Have you tried the kstart command?

# kstart --type Desktop --window <windowname> mplayer -fs <file>

To find out the right windowname you can use xwininfo.
Start mplayer with the following comand in a konsole

# xwininfo & mplayer -really-quiet <file>

and the mouse cursor should change to a cross. Click on the mplayer window,
stop mplayer and look out for a line like this one

# xwininfo: Window id: 0x3c00001 "MPlayer"
                                  ^-----^
                                  windowname

Have fun,
Pascal