kde 3.1.1 Redhat 8

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 27 19:46:42 BST 2003

On Sunday 27 April 2003 01:28 pm, Christopher Logan wrote:
> That I did not know but when I try
> rpm -rebuild -target i686 kdebase-3.1.1-0.8x.src.rpm
> It gives me
> -target: unknown option
> I do have a i686 Celeron Processor
> Any ideas.
>
> >It's a source rpm, not meant for install but for building  if you want you
> >could build it for your machine by using  rpm --rebuild --target i686
> >kdebase-3.1.1-0.8x.src.rpm  and that will place Pentium optimized
> >installable binaries in your /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686 directory.
> >                                  Darryl
> >
> >Christopher Logan wrote:
> >>I am tring to upgrade my Redhat 8 with the supplied rpms and have gotten
> >>everything needed except the kdebase-3.1.1-0.8x.src.rpm seems to install
> >>but never does.  Any ideas what I could be doing wrong.  I have all the
> >>dependecies for it and it goes through the install process but it never
> >>seems to work correctly.

you have to have two dashes in front of the "target" and "rebuild" not just
one.   and it should look exactly as follows:
rpm --target=i686 --rebuild kdebase-3.1.1-0.8x.src.rpm

You could find out where the binaries and such should go and redirect the out
put of the command above to that location by adding "--relocate
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686=<NEW_OUTPUT_DIR>" this could be /usr/local/kde3 or
/opt/kde3 or whatever destination RedHat would have had for the files.

But I would suggest downloading the non-source rpm which should look something
like kdebase-3.1.1-0.8x.rpm  I would imagine that this is what you intend
right?  Or are you wanting to manually copy all the binaries to the right
places?

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

	"The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding
	 to God revealing, and the product of that is the obedience
	 of the will to God commanding."
		Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5