nVidia

larryt67 larryt67 at outdrs.net
Sun Apr 13 17:22:16 BST 2003

Ian,

Be sure to read the NVIDA 'README'  there are some notations
concerning AMD.
Here is a small snippet:
--------------------
The following AGP chipsets are supported by NVIDIA's AGP; for all other
chipsets it's recommended that you use the AGPGART module.

  o Intel 440LX
  o Intel 440BX
  o Intel 440GX
  o Intel 815 ("Solano")
  o Intel 820 ("Camino")
  o Intel 830
  o Intel 840 ("Carmel")
  o Intel 845 ("Brookdale")
  o Intel 845G
  o Intel 850 ("Tehama")
  o Intel 860 ("Colusa")
  o AMD 751 ("Irongate")
  o AMD 761 ("IGD4")
  o AMD 762 ("IGD4 MP")
  o VIA 8371
  o VIA 82C694X
  o VIA KT133
  o VIA KT266
  o RCC 6585HE
  o Micron SAMDDR ("Samurai")
  o Micron SCIDDR ("Scimitar")
  o nForce AGP
  o ALi 1621
  o ALi 1631
  o ALi 1647
  o ALi 1651
  o ALi 1671
  o SiS 630
  o SiS 633
  o SiS 635
  o SiS 645
  o SiS 730
  o SiS 733
  o SiS 735
  o SiS 745

If you are experiencing AGP stability problems, you should be aware of
the following:

  o Support for the processor's Page Size Extension on Athlon Processors

    Some linux kernels have a conflicting cache attribute bug that is
    exposed by advanced speculative caching in newer AMD Athlon family
    processors (AMD Athlon XP, AMD Athlong 4, AMD Athlon MP, and Models 6
    and above AMD Duron). This kernel bug usually shows up under heavy use
    of accelerated 3D graphics with an AGP graphics card.

    Linux distributions based on kernel 2.4.19 and later *should*
    incorporate the bug fix. But, older kernels require help from the user
    in ensuring that a small portion of advanced speculative caching is
    disabled (normally done through a kernel patch) and a boot option is
    specified in order to apply the whole fix.

    Nvidia's driver automatically disables the small portion of advanced
    speculative caching for the affected AMD processors without the need
    to patch the kernel; it can be used even on kernels which do already
    incorporate the kernel bug fix. Additionally, for older kernels the
    user performs the boot option portion of the fix by explicitly disabling
    4MB pages. This can be done from the boot command line by specifying:

        mem=nopentium

    Or by adding the following line to etc/lilo.conf:

        append = "mem=nopentium"
If you are lucky the portion directly above may help you.
Good luck :)