filenames-Konqueror+Different encodings

Christos Vasilakis cvasilak at freemail.gr
Sat Apr 12 21:59:21 BST 2003

Christos Vasilakis wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Christos Vasilakis wrote:
>>
>>> hello there, i have some files on a cd and the filenames are in
>>> greek, using konqueror though the filenames are replaced with ?. Any
>>> way to fix it? Does konqueror support filenames using different
>>> encodings?
>>>
>>> Tried to set encoding to iso* in the preferences dialog but it didn't
>>> work
>>

>>  From the Os's point of view, the file names are not "in greek", they
>> are in an encoding.  If they were in ISO-8859-something, you wouldn't
>> have gotten '?'s, you would have gotten gibberish.  So, I would guess
>> that the CD has UTF-8 file names.  Did you try enabling UTF-8 file names?
>>
>> --
>> JRT

> thanks for the reply,
>
> hm..don't know, how can i do that?
>

> --
> http://www.freemail.gr - äùñåÜí õðçñåóßá çëåêôñïíéêïý ôá÷õäñïìåßïõ.

hmm sorry for my rush,
i have changed the encoding to utf8 (using the prefs dialog in
konqueror), but still no lack. I still get "?" for filenames Do i need
to make a global configuration change?

Using konqueror and mozilla to view unicode utf8 example
pages(http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html), works fine though

So i suspect the cd has a different encoding or sth else is wrong.

Regards,
Christos