[kde-promo] WSJ Strikeout and TypeHeads [LONG]

Eva Brucherseifer eva at kde.org
Fri Apr 11 11:36:52 BST 2003

On Friday 11 April 2003 03:50, Jonathan Singer wrote:
> From: LEFEBVRE Herve <aegir at free.fr>
>
> > *BUT* I would just say that it's much easier for an american newspaper to
> > talk about an "american product" (gnome). An european product whoul'dnt
> > be so interesting for american readers.
>
> I don't think it's that clear cut. Linux gets far more attention than the
> US-originated *BSD family, for instance.
>
> My impression of why GNOME gets disproportionate attention in the US,
> relative to KDE:
>
> 1) Red Hat dominates the North American Linux market, and pushes GNOME
> along with it. That was especially true when the Linux hype started in the
> Red Hat 6.0 days.

Actually they also start to push Red Hat in Europe. Some observations:

- in the linuxpark at cebit Gnome was 4 days present, KDE only got 2 days, the
second one only because it was "left over". There were rumours, that RedHad
paid something.
- on LWCE Frankfurt Gnome originally had a larger booth than KDE vis-av-vis to
our booth. But they didn't come and OpenOffice and wiki took over the (much
too large) space.

What I found really strange was, that at CeBIT Suse had a partner booth with
Ximian, but no KDE booth. They are cooperating with Suse e.g. in their
Groupware project, which uses Evolution. IMHO Ximian sells itself quite good
and is now starting to get into the European market.

There might be no connection, but still it's strange...

Greetings,
eva