[kde-promo] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WSJ Strikeout and TypeHeads [LONG]

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Apr 11 09:56:52 BST 2003

On Friday 11 April 2003 09:41, Neil Stevens wrote:

> We're not Microsoft.  We don't gain *anything* because some company
> decides to use KDE.  Market share wins us nothing.  Only active
> volunteers keep this development effort alive.  Microsoft does well
> with gaining users because those users send money, which is what
> keeps the company going. With KDE, though, anything that doesn't get
> work done doesn't help.

I'm sure there are a lot of developers which get motivated by people
actually using KDE, so market share does win us something.

Companies deciding to use KDE for parts of their business are able and
in some cases they actually do pay for KDE development. For some
developers this might not be an issue but there are developers who have
to earn some money to pay their bills. If they can do that by
developing for KDE this certainly is a gain for the project.