R: [kde] à è ì ò ù - SEMI-SOLVED

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Apr 3 10:07:09 BST 2003

Filippo Spanò wrote:
> Hallo Ingo,
>
> I tried to change encoding to CP1252 but result is the same.
> I also tried to close and re-open the text editor, but :-(
>
> Perhaps I should save the file with another encoding, so this
> morning I've installed Editpad Lite, an excellent text editor
> for win.
>
> Attachments list of files saved in WinXP-Zoz
>
> - Notepad_ANSI.txt:    saved with ANSI encoding
> - Notepad_Unicode.txt:  "    "    Unicode  "
> - Notepad_UTF8.txt:	"    "    UTF8	 "
> - Editpad.txt:	     default saving of EditPad (I don't know the
> encoding type)
> - Editpad_unix.txt:    converted to unix then saved in EditPad

Editpad.txt and Notepad_ANSI.txt are exactly the same. I could simply
open them with KWrite and they looked okay.

Editpad_unix.txt is the same as Editpad.txt except that Unix-style
linebreaks instead of Windows-style linebreaks were used. I could open
this file with KWrite and it looked okay.

Notepad_UTF8.txt was a bit more problematic. Although I chose utf-8 in
the Open File dialog the characters were displayed wrong. After
changing the encoding (in View->Set Encoding) to utf-8 the characters
were displayed correctly.

Of Notepad_Unicode.txt only the first 3 bytes survived the transport. So
there's nothing much to test.

The test shows that on a properly configured system (SuSE 8.1 in my
case) opening those files shouldn't be a problem. Which locale are you
using and which language in KDE are you using? To find out your locale
type 'locale' in Konsole.

Regards,
Ingo