kdeinit - kio - stand alone

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sat Sep 21 05:44:27 BST 2002

> Le Vendredi 20 Septembre 2002 21:05, Michael Leone a écrit :
> > M.H said:
> > > Is there a way to have kde applications to access to network interface
> > > without having them to use the kdeinit : kio .. parent processes?
> > > For instance I would like kmail to use directly my network interface
> > > (ethX or pppX). It is extremely *unsecure* to have all kde applications
> > > accessing network interfaces by only one parent process. The main reason
> > > is that it is very hard to have control on them.
> >
> > I'm confused ... do you want to lock down a workstation, so that only
> > certain types of traffic goes out?
>
> Well, I'm talking in the perspective of destop use of linux (that will be, I hope, in

So was I. :-)

> Yes I would like the workstation to have control on the outgoing traffic.
>
> >Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to
> > just use a dedicated firewall/gateway?
>
> For a joe user, I don't think that he will go and buy another computer for a dedicated use! :)

Of course not; they do what most Linux users do, and re-use an old 486/Pentium
1 with 2 NICs. :-)

Like I have done for 3 or 4 years, even when I only had
dialup.  I pulled my Pentium 100 (literally) out of the trash pile at
work, and if you use LEAF <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>, you don't even need
a hard drive, just a floppy.

> But you still don't know *who* (the application) is going out. 2 applications can use the same protocol and port..
> Maybe you've guessed the fear : malicious applications that use internet access without letting you know. Lets take the free divxplayer.

On Linux? Doubtful. :-) But possible.