kdeinit - kio - stand alone

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Fri Sep 20 20:05:18 BST 2002

M.H said:
> Is there a way to have kde applications to access to network interface
> without having them to use the kdeinit : kio .. parent processes?
> For instance I would like kmail to use directly my network interface
> (ethX or pppX). It is extremely *unsecure* to have all kde applications
> accessing network interfaces by only one parent process. The main reason
> is that it is very hard to have control on them.

I'm confused ... do you want to lock down a workstation, so that only
certain types of traffic goes out? Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to
just use a dedicated firewall/gateway? You can then use iptables rules on
it, customized per user (well, per IP), and per protocol/port, without
worrying about have to do a major re-write of KDE.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348

Random Thought: