[kde-linux] No kio_audiocd nor kio_help when not root!

Guy Zelck gzelck at tiscalinet.be
Tue Oct 29 20:40:00 GMT 2002

Andrew,

>Most likely because you did not set up a dual mode kde2/3 system correctly.
>Even if you dont want a dual mode system you have to set it up if you want
>to keep your kde2 stuff.
I did not have to! The rpms take care of that. Read on ...

>The first thing you need to do is rename/remove the
>home/USERNAME//.kde(1)(2)(3)  folder and let kde generate a new one when
>starts.
This is the directory used by kde2 under Mandrake.

>Look in /etc/profile.d for a kde.sh file. Since you didn't remove kde2 it is
>setting your paths and KDE variables incorrectly. the same applies to qt.
Impossible since there's no such file (maybe the rpm install removed it), so no confusion possible.
What is there is a kde3.sh which prepends $KDEDIR/bin to the contents of PATH, like it should.
I added vars KDEDIR & QTDIR in there as well. It didn't matter shit.

>Best just get rid of kde2 and rename your /.kde folders because the settings
>are not compatible even though it was supposed to be fixed. If you want a
>dual system then make startkde3 set your home kde folder as /.kde3
Like I said, it was taken care of. Just for completeness I moved .kde aside so no confusion would be possible.
I logged out completely and back in to KDE3 but no change. Still that rotten failure.
I then removed .kde3 and let KDE3 create that anew. Still the same fuckin' problem.
I'm beginning to think sth. went wrong during compilation (these are the kde3.0.4 rpms for Mandrake).
On the other hand I didn't see anyone else complain about this. Maybe they're not aware still.
Can anyone else using these same rpms confirm things work for them?

Cheers,
Guy.