[kde-linux] No kio_audiocd nor kio_help when not root!

Guy Zelck gzelck at tiscalinet.be
Sat Oct 26 10:49:49 BST 2002

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 06:05 pm, Guy Zelck wrote:

>> I've recently installed kde3 3.0.4 for Mandrake-8.1 using rpms. I can
>> work fairly well until I discovered I couldn't 'audiocd:/' nor 'help:/'
>> in konqueror.
>> Funny thing is I can do all this being root! So it seems to be sth.
>> related to access rights? I can't see any unusual rights on the files
>> when comparing e.g. /opt/kde3/lib/kde3 files with their counterparts
>> from kde2 which I still have. In KDE2 things work.
>

>Your on the right track, but siffing in the wrong directory.  See what
>/dev/cdrom links to and check the permissions on that device.

I already "sniffed" that before and it's ok, look :

[root at gz:/dev] # ll scd* brw-rw---- 1 guy cdwriter 11, 0 aug 30 2001
scd0 brw-rw---- 1 guy cdwriter 11, 1 aug 30 2001 scd1 Why would kio_help
fail also then? It's clearly sth. else. I see klauncher running as user
'guy' too, so nothing special there. We should look in the direction of
why klauncher can't launch a kio slave.