CRAZY cpu usage when running kde

gabriel the.angel.gabriel at rogers.com
Wed Oct 23 17:25:00 BST 2002

anyone have any idea why two copies kdeinit seem to be using up all of my cpu
power while running kde?  i didn't realise this it until i opened gkrellm.

( screenshot here: www.cravingthesoulfood.com/helpme/cpu.png )

i've also put the first few lines of "top" here:

15344 gabriel   25   0 14684  14M 11904 R    50.4  2.8 421:57 kdeinit
24391 gabriel   25   0 55976  15M 11932 R    48.5  3.0 480:51 kdeinit
24629 root      15   0   972  968   768 R     0.9  0.1   0:00 top
    1 root      15   0   512  512   448 S     0.0  0.0   0:37 init
    2 root      0K   0     0    0     0 SW    0.0  0.0   0:00 migration_CPU0

after a reboot, NEITHER of them appear in "top".  and when i'm running kde,
there's a bunch of them there, but none of them are using such extensive
resources.

what's goin' on?

here's what i've found so far:
it looks like *sometimes* when i exit kde, kdeinit is still running and using
up ALL of my cpu.  if i run startx again, then exit kde again, i now have two
copies of kdeinit that refuse to die.

"kill <pid>" doesn't work
but "kill -9 <pid>" does.

one other thing worth noting would be that when i do exit kde i get the
following message on my console:

kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.
*** kdesktop got signal 15 (Exiting)

when i hit <enter> i get my prompt back and i'm good to go

it looks like kdesktop isn't shutting down right, so what is it?  and how do i
make it shut down right?  does this have something to do with the fact that
i'm changing wallpapers every few minutes?  (the wallpapers are on a vfat
partition so i can see them in windows as well).