Controlling directory polling?

Johnny Ernst Nielsen johnny.ernst.nielsen at get2net.dk
Thu Oct 10 17:24:01 BST 2002

> KDE 3.0.3
>
> The question is.
> Is there any way of turning directory polling off all together?
>
> Perhaps, is there any way to tell the system to _not_ poll certain
> specified directories?
>
> I have automount set up for my floppy and my CD-ROM.
> Whenever I use look at these two automounted directories, they are
> continually polled.
> Especially the floppy is a drag because the polling slows the
> application so that it is useless. The floppy polling kind of
> freezes the entire system, while the polling is done. Then a few
> seconds break where the system works. Then another poll and another
> "freeze".
>
> Also, even if I go away from the automounted floppy in the app to
> view an other directory, KDE keeps polling the floppy.
>
> The same goes for almost all other ordinary KDE apps, like kate and
> konq.
> Only the konsole hasn't got this problem.

Funny, replying to myself.

There is a solution.

Use the FAM/fam daemon.

The part of KDE that continually polls the directories is called
KDirWatch.
However, this KDE service only resorts to polling if it can not find
the FAM daemon.
When it uses the FAM daemon, the annoying 5 second polling stops,
while at the same time providing directory updates.
It is like the FAM daemon "tells" KDE whenever something happens, in
stead of KDE having to continualy "ask" if anything has happened.
It lowers the load on the computer.

Best regards
Johnny :o)