Solved! Re: Autostart runs the test editor instead of running scripts

Phil Edwards phil at jaj.com
Wed Oct 9 23:39:24 BST 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 09:21:39AM +0200, Frank Baumeister wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 October 2002 08:38, Phil Edwards wrote:
>
> > Is this file format documented anywhere?
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec.html

Well, that helped.  Some.  :-)  It gives me the grammar, as it were, and
in a footnote tells me what the possible Type= entries are, but doesn't
say what they /mean/.

And, unfortunately, the X-KDE-* extension lines aren't documented anywhere
at all.

However, through a lot of trial and error, I found what works.

    % cat .kde/Autostart/xscreensaver.desktop
    [Desktop Entry]
    Exec=/usr/bin/xscreensaver -no-splash
    Name=XScreensaver
    Type=Application
    NoDisplay=1
    Terminal=0
    X-KDE-autostart-after=kdesktop
    X-KDE-StartupNotify=false
    %

Thanks to everyone for the pointers!  Never would have guessed that I'd
have to name it "foo.desktop"... KDE needs documentation more than any
other project I've worked on or with...

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002