Controlling directory polling?

Johnny Ernst Nielsen johnny.ernst.nielsen at get2net.dk
Wed Oct 9 14:53:19 BST 2002

Good day,

KDE 3.0.3

The question is.
Is there any way of turning directory polling off all together?

Perhaps, is there any way to tell the system to _not_ poll certain
specified directories?

I have automount set up for my floppy and my CD-ROM.
Whenever I use look at these two automounted directories, they are
continually polled.
Especially the floppy is a drag because the polling slows the
application so that it is useless. The floppy polling kind of freezes
the entire system, while the polling is done. Then a few seconds
break where the system works. Then another poll and another "freeze".

Also, even if I go away from the automounted floppy in the app to view
an other directory, KDE keeps polling the floppy.

The same goes for almost all other ordinary KDE apps, like kate and
konq.
Only the konsole hasn't got this problem.

Best regards
Johnny :o)