arts/sound over network

Darrell Esau Darrell.Esau at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 20 17:43:33 GMT 2002

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up sound in a somewhat strange manner.  I'm wondering if
arts can do this:

I'm running KDE from a linux workstation, remote displaying everything to a
Sun/Sparc machine.  I start KDE by opening a single xterm on the sun/sparc
machine, then ssh to the linux machine, set my DISPLAY variable to the sun
machine, then run startkde.

Everything works fine, except, of course, sound.  I want to run the artsd
server on the sun machine (I think), so that any sound from the linux box
goes over the network to the sun machine.

Is this possible?

I've set my .mcoprc on both machines to read:
GlobalComm=Arts::X11GlobalComm

I then try to start the artsd server on the sun machine like this:
artsd -n -F 5 -S 8192
(I've compiled arts from kde3.1rc2 for sparc)

However, I get this message when trying to start the artsd on the sun box:
MCOP ObjectManager: can't find implementation for Arts::X11GlobalComm.
core.cc:2106: failed assertion `skel'
Abort (core dumped)

Any advice?

Thanks,