writing (french) accents with a QWERTY keyboard

Thibauld Thibauld.FAVRE at ifaedi.insa-lyon.fr
Sat Nov 16 14:11:40 GMT 2002

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your solutions..
Just to let you know about the (probably) final solution/explanation to my
problem :
It seems that the Windows key is managed by the "level3" function (see
/etc/X11/xkbd/rules/xfree86).
And here's what I can get when I launch X (startx) :

(EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)
parse error: line 31 of level3
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Error interpreting include file "level3"
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0.xkm

After a little bit of searching, I found that the "level3" function is
provided by the pex5 module. But it appears that this module is no longer
compiled in the SARGE debian distribution :
dpkg-deb --contents /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibs_4.2.1-3_i386.deb  | grep
lib[^/]
gives no result about xie  or pex5 module, neither can I find them in the
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/

On a WOODY distribution, the modules are there :
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libpex5.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libxie.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libPEX5.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXIE.a

I don't know exactly why it's not compiled anymore...
I didn't find a solution to my problem so far except by compiling these
modules by hand... "bof" as we say in french ;)

Thanks for your help,

thibs