kdeinit/kio spinning processes

Darrell Esau Darrell.Esau at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 14 19:06:54 GMT 2002

Hello all,

This problem cropped up between RC1 and RC2, it's still there in RC3.

My kdeinit: kio_* processes aren't dieing when they should.  I see many
kdeinit: kio_file, kdeinit: kio_http, kdeinit: kio_smtp, etc.

If I continue to use konqueror, the kio_http procs continue to grow.. they
never go away.  Eventually the CPU becomes consumed by them.

Running strace on them yields: (they all yield the same output):

sched_yield()                           = 0
sched_yield()                           = 0
sched_yield()                           = 0
sched_yield()                           = 0
sched_yield()                           = 0
sched_yield()                           = 0
sched_yield()                           = 0
sched_yield()                           = 0
sched_yield()                           = 0

This continues for about 40 times, then I get this:
nanosleep({0, 2000001}, NULL)           = 0

then the process continues, looping infinitely until I issue a 'kill -9'

This makes KDE totally unusable.