no jpeg

Stefan Petersen stefan at st-petersen.de
Sat Nov 2 14:12:17 GMT 2002

Hi Darrel,

I have almost the same problem than you.
I run KDE 3.0.3 with qt-3.0.6. The jpg files are not shown as wallpapers, and
they are not shown when they are listed in any file-dialog as thumbnails,
e.g. opening directory /opt/kde/share/wallpapers with konqueror.
Only the png-files are displayed as an image, the other jpg-files are shown
with the default image-icon.

Opening such a jpg-file, I can see the image.

I have compiled jpeg-6b, qt-3.0.6 and kde-3.0.3 from source, so there should
be no binary compatability problem.

the qt configure script was executed as followed:
./configure -qt-gif -shared -sm -thread -system-libpng -system-libmng \
-system-zlib -system-libjpeg -xft -no-g++-exceptions -prefix \
/usr/local/qt-3.0.6 -plugin-imgfmt-mng -qt-gif -no-xinerama -no-stl

At kde.org, they say compiling kde 3.0.4 (the next stable release) should be
done with qt-3.0.3. Unfortunately I have read at trolltech.com, that the
qt-3.0.3 is not binary compatible with qt-3.0.5. So I have to recompile all
that kde-stuff.
Does anybody know a more convenient solution for this problem ?

Is only qt-3.0.3 suitable for kde-3.x.x ?

that I have seen, is that binary compatability issue.
They say, compiling everything on one machine, should solve any problems with
jpegs. But for me its not working that way.

So before recompiling all that stuff, it would be great to have the real
solution for that.

Thanks in advance,

Stefan