[kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Sat Nov 2 04:19:39 GMT 2002

Jaymz,

I think there is a perception, which in my experience is completely
incorrect, that openoffice is "more compatible" with Microsoft
programs.  This goes along with a perception that koffice is difficult
to use.  I think this is a result of the separation of the filters from
the tools that use them.  Ironically, a good engineering decision
(modularity of the software that translates among formats) produces a
negative marketing effect.

Another problem (again we are talking about perception problems, not
technical problems) is that, with the default installation of Red Hat,
the koffice tools don't work "out of the box" unless KDE is the chosen
desktop.  With gnome, some reconfiguration is necessary.  This causes
people to start up kword once, get a message like "Mutex destroy
failure: Device or resource busy", and never try it again.

openoffice is actually quite slow on my 2.2 gig box with 1 gig of
memory.  It is actually quite a technical achievement to run so slowly
on such a machine.  :)

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 20:54, Jaymz Julian wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2002, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
>
> > Jaymz,
> >
> > While my personal opinion is kword in front, abiword not out of the
> > running, and openoffice bringing up the rear, I'm not sure that your
> > argument here is, in fact, valid.  Specifically, why not throw 128MB of
> > RAM at typing a letter?
> >
> > While this is esthetically unpleasing, from an engineering perspective
> > it may not be "bad".  RAM is cheap, and development is expensive and
> > time consuming.
>
> primarily, my argument is that I have people breathing down my neck to
> deply openoffice on 32meg systems, and I genuinly would like to know what
> exactly is percieved as being so damn amazing about it that people are
> convinced that this 40 minute startup time is acceptable
>
> therefore, it was the first random thing I picked out that pissed me off
> about oopenoffice - perhaps I should have felt the need to writ ethe 50
> page manifesto ;)
>
> 	- jj

Seth Kurtzberg
M. I. S. Corp