XDMCP. KDE 3.0, RedHat

Daniel Tourde ted at foi.se
Sat May 25 15:16:30 BST 2002

Hello,

I cannot use My RedHat 7.3 box as an Xterminal (It worked with 7.1 and
7.2) with KDM.

I modified the files as mentionned below (My machine is called Lorient):

[ted at lorient /etc]$ diff inittab inittab.org
57,58c57
< x1:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
< x2:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/X -indirect lorient
---
 > x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

[ted at lorient xdm]$ diff Xaccess Xaccess.org
40c40
< *                 #any host can get a login window
---
 > # *                    #any host can get a login window
58c58
< #*        CHOOSER BROADCAST    #any indirect host can get a chooser
---
 > *        CHOOSER BROADCAST    #any indirect host can get a chooser
66c66
< %hostlist    lorient brest toulon plnpc
---
 > #%hostlist    host-a host-b
68c68
< *        CHOOSER %hostlist    #
---
 > #*        CHOOSER %hostlist    #

[ted at lorient xdm]$ diff xdm-config xdm-config.org
28c28
< ! DisplayManager.requestPort:    0
---
 > DisplayManager.requestPort:    0

[ted at lorient xdm]$ diff Xservers Xservers.org
13c13
< #:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
---
 > :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

[ted at lorient sysconfig]$ more desktop
DESKTOP="KDE"

Actual Results:

Grey screen. I do not get the XDMCP chooser window.

Expected Results:

A grey screen WITH the XDMCP chooser window, where I can choose among 4
machines: Brest, Lorient, Toulon and Plnpc

Additional Information:

Everything worked great with Red Hat 7.2 and KDE 2.2.2. I replaced also
on my Red Hat 7.2 machine KDE 2.2.2 by KDE 3.0.0 and I never got back my
  KDM chooser and my list of available machine on my subnet here.

I modified kdmrc according to this. It is equivalent to what I did for
KDE 2.2.2 (and it worked then....). Do you know what has been changed
from KDE 2.2.2 to KDE 3.0.0? Could you please help me to find the right
flag to get XDMCP working again?  Thanks in advance

bash-2.05a# pwd
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm
bash-2.05a# diff kdmrc kdmrc.org
64c64
< DaemonMode=false
---
 > #DaemonMode=false
96c96
< #Enable=false
---
 > Enable=false
98c98
< Port=177
---
 > #Port=177
bash-2.05a#

             Daniel

Daniel TOURDE                             E-mail : daniel.tourde at foi.se
                                              Tel : +46 (0)8-55 50 43 44
                                         Cellular :  +46 (0)70-849 93 40
    FOI, Swedish Defence Research Agency; Aeronautics Division - FFA
        Dept. of Wind Energy and Aviation Environmental Research
SE-172 90 Stockholm, Sweden                     Fax : +46 (0)8-25 34 81