multiple calls

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri May 24 02:03:01 BST 2002

David Wallis wrote:

> Howdy
> I live on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. My telephone line is provided by Telstra and I use a local ISP ... serv.net.au
> I am running RH 7.1 and KDE   2.1.1 I set up my connection using PPPD v 2.4.0
> I have a NetComm internal modem
>
> According to my telstra bill I dialed my ISP 90 times in one given week and 23 times on one day in that specific week.
>
> My normal practice is to log on every morning,  send any mail in my out box download all incoming mail, answer any that I can do immediately, do any web look-ups i have planned such as pay bills etc then go off line.
> I will clean up the mail box and reply to such mail as necessary during the day. Next am I log on and repeat the process etc
>
> One thing I have noticed, is that when I am downloading, I get a message 'stalled' which, of its own accord and the download continues
>
> Please, which settings do I need to change so the computer will only make one call at my command and not keep repeating when the handshake fails.

I doubt that your computer is redialing.  If you have the modem set so
you can hear it, you would have heard it.  In any case, if you tell KPPP
to hang up, that is it.  The only thing it can be configured to do is
redial if your ISP hangs up on you.  That is under the: "Misc." tab:
"Automatic Redial on Disconnect", but that only works if KPPP is
running.

--
JRT