File type problem

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Thu May 16 12:01:29 BST 2002

I've probably missed something obvious, but I've been having problems
persuading KDE to recognize OpenOffice files as such.

I've set up an OpenOffice menu item.
I've added an application/x-openoffice to the filetypes (defined with pattern
*.sx?) and set its default application to OpenOffice.

The OO desktop file does indeed claim that it will open
application/x-openoffice.

Despite this, KDE insists that my OpenOffice files are Zip archives and
therefore wants to open them with ark (the Zip filetype has the expected
patterns of *.zip and *.ZIP).

FWIW StarOffice files are recognized and OpenOffice is offered as alternative
application.

This occurs both with KDE 2.2 (from distribution) with RH7.2 and with KDE3.0
(from source tarballs) on SuSE 7.2

TIA for any pointers
	James