Accessing KDE data files from multiple computers

Neal Lippman nl at lippman.org
Thu May 9 00:00:56 BST 2002

I am setting up a home LAN, in which one computer will serve as a central
file server for /home, mounted via nfs to all other linux computers on the
network. I am using KDE 2.2.

What I am looking to have happen is that when I log in to any computer I (or
any other user) would have their standard KDE desktop, with access to all
config files, bookmarks, KMail folders, etc.

I would expect that to work fine with the above setup in that whenever I log
in to a system, since /home is nfs mounted, there shouldn't be any difference
between systems.

My question is: Does KDE contain any sort of synchronization method, so that
if I simultaneously logged in on two different systems, there wouldn't be a
problem with colliding reads/writes to various kde files? For instance, if
the kmail client running on one system reads/writes the mail files, what
happens to the kmail client running on another system? Or to the files
themselves, if both clients are reading/writing mail?

I know this wouldn't happen often, but I MIGHT log in to more than one
machine at a time, and I wouldn't want all my mail, bookmarks, etc to become
corrupted.

Thanks.
Neal Lippman