"Cannot find reasonable font" error - workaround?

David_Reynolds at kcmo.org David_Reynolds at kcmo.org
Fri May 3 22:29:06 BST 2002

Apparently my new KDE 3.0 installation has decided it doesn't like some of
the fonts I have. I came home today to find Kicker, Kmail, and Quanta dead.
Trying to restart them sent the cursor cycling for a bit, then death.
Opening from the terminal gave me an error about not being able to find a
reasonable font, and then it hangs on trying to complete the exit process.
Ctrl-C worked fine, and Konqueror worked well enough to let me find out
what the error was probably related to. However I am at a loss as to where
to go to change the currently selected font (apparently it has "Unknown"
stored somewhere in its configuration files.). Kcontrol crashes when I try
to go to any of the relevant submenus, and Konqueror's Configure menu
closes (but not Konqueror itself), when I try to change the font it is
using. What information I can see from some programs indicate I am using
"Andale Mono", although I am not confident this is the KDE default.

gFTP was up and running so it is possible I can go into Gnome to edit
files, but I am reasonably comfortable with command line, I just need a
direction to be pointed. Apparently I will have to use Emacs to edit the
file, but I do not know where it is stored (presumably in /home/user/.kde?)
And what should I change it to for a 'failsafe' font until I can figure out
which work and which don't?

I am using Linux 2.4.18-6mdk if that makes a difference.

Much thanks,
David Reynolds