Trouble building kdebindings

Alasdair Campbell alasdair.campbell4 at btinternet.com
Fri May 3 15:03:27 BST 2002

On Thursday 02 May 2002 10:41, Alasdair Campbell wrote:
> When I try to build kdegbindings (KDE 3.0), make segfaults in
> qtjava/javalib/org/kde/qt
>
> I am using make 3.79.1
> jdk 1.3.1
> qt 3.0.3
> gcc 2.95.3
>
> I have searched the bugs reports but have found nothing similar.
> I wonder if anyone can help me?
> I am attaching the out of make -d (sorry it is so long)
>
> TIA

OK, I have found the reason for this. I am surprised noone else has
experienced the problem.
If anyone is interested, the following from java.sun explains:

<quote>
The newer glibc-2.2.x libraries cannot correctly handle initial thread stack
sizes larger than 6 MB.
This can cause a segmentation fault on come Linux platforms that use the newer
libraries.
Such platforms include Red Hat 7.0, Mandrake 8.0, SuSe 7.2, and Debian 2.2.
The problem will not occur on Linux platforms that are using glibc-2.1.x such
as Red Hat 6.1 and 6.2.
It will also not affect Red Hat 7.1 because it uses a different thread stack
layout.
This problem is being tracked as bug 4466587.

Workaround - Use "ulimit -s 2048" in bash shell or "limit stacksize 2048" in
tcsh to limit the initial thread stack to 2 MB.
</quote>
--
Kind Regards,

Alasdair Campbell