konqueror, kamera and thumbnails

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Sun Jun 30 15:13:01 BST 2002

Dear all,

I have a Kodak DC3400 which I've setup with hotplugging and gphoto2 and
works perfectly with gtkam and konqueror (3.0.1) with the kamera kioslave.
However, I'm noticing that konqueror is creating its own thumbnails by
downloading the FULL images from the camera and then thumbnailing them,
instead of making use of the camera's own previews!

I've timed how long gtkam takes to download all thumbnails and how long
konqueror takes to display its thumbnails.  There is a huge difference.
gtkam gets 19 complete thumbnails in 6 seconds on my setup.  konqueror takes
6 seconds just to generate the generic icons and filenames for the 19
images, then it starts downloading each image separately and making a
thumbnail, which takes a further 14 seconds.

My camera does have thumbnail support (gphoto2 -a --port usb --camera "Kodak
DC3400" yields "File preview (thumbnail) support : yes" as one of its
results) and looking at the kamera.cpp:

if(cameraSupportsPreview() && metaData("thumbnail") == "1") {
    kdDebug() << "get() retrieving the thumbnail" << endl;
    fileType = GP_FILE_TYPE_PREVIEW;
    if (info.preview.fields & GP_FILE_INFO_SIZE) {
       totalSize(info.preview.size);
}

it seems that the kamera ioslave should make use of it.  However, judging by
the timings, it doesn't.

How can I fix this?  Is there some configuration setting in konq that causes
it to request the thumbnails directly from the kioslave?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,