How I use Konsole (was: ctrl-s)

Evan Edwards evan at onepaper.com
Mon Jun 24 11:34:44 BST 2002

On Monday 24 June 2002 03:06 am, Christian Herzyk wrote:
> > From: kde-admin at mail.kde.org [mailto:kde-admin at mail.kde.org]On Behalf Of
> > dvorakv at idas.cz

> > Then perhaps there should be a visual indication somewhere on the
> > Konsole window - like a button on the right side of the toolbar,
> > titled "Scroll suspend", that would be shown depressed when the user
> > has hit Ctrl+S; a tooltip would say "Click this button or press Ctrl+Q
> > to resume".
>
> This is on the feature list for kde3.1

    Perhaps a tooltip explaining how to use stty stop and stty start would be
nice?  Or much better - some way to set it in the Konsole setup.  Personally,
I usually have a "stty stop ^P" in my .bash_login since "Pause" is a nice
mnemonic, and ^S is used for saving in most other (GUI) applications.

    Of couse, I also have named screen sessions for my "sessions" in Konsole -
instead of bash or something like that, try setting up a sesson named foobar
and set it to run "screen -dRS foobar" (where foobar is unique per shell).
That allows you to maintain your commandline programs running even while
you're logged out.  I also have a few sessions that are "repeat ssh
evan at myserver" where repeat is a little utility I wrote that executes the
commandline over and over.  It keeps me logged into my servers (and I have
nifty little icons for each of them).

    I also color code my shells - black on light yellow for a local session,
black on light blue for a remote session, and black on light pink for a root
console, either local or remote.  Very pale colors, but it helps me orient
myself.  I also have one last spare one that is green on black.  I toss
processes into the background in that one (running X programs or mpg123, for
instance), in case they spit stuff to stderr.  Plus I know which screen to
detach and reconnect to if I ever need to log in and change a running
process.

    Incidently, isn't functionality like screen (in terms of saving state)
going to be in 3.1 or so?  I heard rumors...

Evan Edwards    evan at onepaper.com