Using WM's other than KWin?

Glen Lee Edwards glen at fcwm.org
Tue Jun 18 04:39:33 BST 2002

On Monday 17 June 2002 05:28 pm, CiAsA S'Nuey Boark wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 June 2002 01:02 am, Dan Stone wrote:
> > Once in a while I keep reading references to using other window
> > managers other than KWin with KDE -- what is involved in changing
> > this setting
>
> Easy enough, just do:
> 	vi `which startkde`
> at the bottom of the file you will see a line that looks like:
> 	kwrapper ksmserver --restore || <snip a bit>
> change that to:
> 	kwrapper ksmserver --restore --windowmanager $window_manager ||
> <snip a bit>
>
> Also, please make sure you don't reply to a current message when you
> start a new topic, it messes up the threading.

I would like to give a big "Thank you!" to the KDE folks for allowing
us to choose our own window manager.  In the past I've found myself
struggling with whether to use FVWM or KDE.  I've stayed with FVWM
because it's a fully customizable window manager.  I just found out in
the last couple of weeks that I could use the KDE desktop with FVWM.
Cool!

Glen