Installing KDE3.0.1 over 3.0

Duane Kehoe dkehoe at wi.rr.com
Thu Jun 6 20:57:52 BST 2002

Just my thoughts:

    Use YOU as it lists the upgrade for you to select(SuSE made
available yesterday) and handles all issues of dependencies and the like.

Iztok Kobal wrote:

> Renaud MICHEL wrote:
>
>> Le Jeudi 6 Juin 2002 17:54, Iztok Kobal a écrit :
>>

>>> rpm -Uvh --test kdelibs3-3.0.1-41.rpm
>>>
>>> which resulted in
>>>
>>> error: failed dependencies:
>>>        kdelibs3 = 3.0 is needed by kdelibs3-devel-3.0-1
>>>
>>> when I
>>>
>>> rpm -ivh --test kdelibs3-3.0.1-41.rpm
>>>
>>> it only shows file conflicts with the originally installed
>>> kdelibs3-3.0-1  package which is not very good, anyway, rather
>>> encouraging after previous try.
>>>
>>> Now I am confused - when I look to the KDE page it says that the
>>> KDE3.0.1 is the service release which I understand as update and not
>>> new
>>> installation so it should work with the -U !
>>>
>>> What the heck ?
>>>

>> You need to upgrade kdelibs3 and kdelibs3-devel at the same time, as
>> kdelibs3-devel need kdelibs3.
>>

> Consider the previous message void !
>
> I get it now - the dependencies are so smart that they tell me that I
> must update the kdelibs3-devel also !
>
> Thanks ! :-)
>
> iztok

Duane Kehoe                                             dkehoe at wi.rr.com
<mailto:dkehoe at wi.rr.com>
            "The more information one firm has about a
            competitor's product, the easier it is to copy the
            key features and other innovations of the product."
                    -Bill Gates(DOJ testimony 04.20.2002)