Installing KDE3.0.1 over 3.0

Iztok Kobal iztok.kobal at telemach.net
Thu Jun 6 19:56:49 BST 2002

Renaud MICHEL wrote:

>Le Jeudi 6 Juin 2002 17:54, Iztok Kobal a écrit :
>

>>rpm -Uvh --test kdelibs3-3.0.1-41.rpm
>>
>>which resulted in
>>
>>error: failed dependencies:
>>        kdelibs3 = 3.0 is needed by kdelibs3-devel-3.0-1
>>
>>when I
>>
>>rpm -ivh --test kdelibs3-3.0.1-41.rpm
>>
>>it only shows file conflicts with the originally installed
>> kdelibs3-3.0-1  package which is not very good, anyway, rather
>>encouraging after previous try.
>>
>>Now I am confused - when I look to the KDE page it says that the
>>KDE3.0.1 is the service release which I understand as update and not new
>>installation so it should work with the -U !
>>
>>What the heck ?
>>

>You need to upgrade kdelibs3 and kdelibs3-devel at the same time, as
>kdelibs3-devel need kdelibs3.

But I do not need kdelibs3-devel for kdelibs3, do I ? :-\  Anyway -
there is something strange about this message - I tried to install
kdelibs3-3.0.1 and the message tells me that the  kdelibs3-devel-3.0.1
depends of kdelibs3-3.0 ......

What I am concerned about this behaviour is that I will have two
packages in the rpm database: kdelibs3-3.0 and kdelibs3-3.0.1. If I
could use -U (but obviously I could not) there would be only one entry.
If I use -i I will install the package succesfully but I am afraid that
I will have both of them in the rpm database. :-(

Iztok