Prob with user log-off and X!

Michael Herber dennismail at gmx.net
Sun Jul 28 10:11:40 BST 2002

Hi jRT!

I have to tell you news ybout my problems, becaue I think they might be
useful for further analysis of this.

I don't know what "ld.so" does, but anyway, I found myself what it was.
After the problems got worse, I got through the system and I didn't
found a single thing, but anyhow, the symptoms were quite strange:
"Kosnole"-sessions under KDE got suddenly terminated and disappeared
from the screen (and other programs did so!), I couldn't run some of the
YaST 2-modules whereas others workes and so on. The error where I got on
the trace for the guilty one, was quite simple. I tried to compile a
program under a Konsole, and it quit the kosnole (like above), but I was
able to read something about a memory error just before the window was
gone. Anyhow, I just bought a 128MB-RAM-module and plugged it in (where
I already had problems, because the bios didn't recognize it at first,
but I had to change the modules in my system and then it worked). Now,
after this one, I plugged it out, reinstalled Linux - and now it works!

So anyhow, I'm NOT sure if the 128MB-module is broken or if it's an
error of the way I plug the modules in or something like this! After
all, the additional 128MB were recognized (also under Linux), so it
might be a human error - what do you think?

Anyhow, I hope that this willl help in the future if something like this
occurs again!

Mick