screensaver

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 14 03:53:35 BST 2002

Unfortunately installing kdeaddons3 didn't help any.  Messing around some
more with strace, I have now determined that when it tries to access the
file /usr/bin/??????????? instead of /usr/bin/kmatrix.kss, that those
really are 11 '?' characters in the filename.

I have a new theory.  The '?' character is 0x3F.  Since all the characters
come out the same, and since the kmatrix.css name comes from the Exec=
line in the /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/KMatrix.desktop file,
where Encoding=UTF-8 is specified, I'm thinking that multi-byte characters
are being used for internationalization support, and due to endianness
issues (PPC versus PC) the wrong byte is getting used out of a multi-byte
character, but this is all pure conjecture on my part.

I even tried making a symbolic link from /usr/bin/??????????? to
/usr/bin/kmatrix.kss, and when I tried to do a test of the Matrix
screensaver from the KDE control center it did appear to do _something_,
but it still didn't work.  The strace also showed that the access of
/usr/bin/??????????? succeeded which had always failed before.

So it does appear to be a KDE bug (or possibly a bug in some system
library that KDE uses).

						-Regards

						-Bill