LAN browsing: "The file or directory smb://192.168.0.55/ does not exist."

Blomberg David dblomber at Libertec.com
Tue Jul 23 08:18:23 BST 2002

If you are going to crack a 192 IP address (non-routable) and no idea of
the gateway IP you are my new hero.

-----Original Message-----
From:	JW
Sent:	Tue 7/23/2002 5:22 AM
To:	kde at mail.kde.org
Subject:	Re: [kde] LAN browsing: "The file or directory
smb://192.168.0.55/ does not exist."
On Monday 22 July 2002 09:26 am, Carsten Neumann wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Terry Carlton wrote:
> > Don't you also have to include the name of the shared folder in
that?
> > <ie> 192.168.0.55/users/tim/shared
> > BTW.   .  .not a good idea to show people any of your IP address's
>
> Why not?
>
> That's a private address!
> You're not very familiar with IP address assignment, Terry, are you?
;-)

You're not very familiar with security, Carsten, are you? ;-)
See your nearest bookstore.

Honestly people. At the very least, if you DON'T show your IP no one can
use it to crack your internal LAN.
Just use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Because if you do show it, it can potentially
be used.
Yes, this is a very very small thing in the realm of security. That
doesn't mean you should wave it away, Podsnap :-)
BTW, the very fact that it is supposed to  be his 'private' IP is all
the more reason not to show it.

May I see your iptables rules, complete with IPs please ;-)

	JW

P.S. Take it easy. No hurt feelings intended.